You train or tell yourself, “I will breathe in aware of the whole body. I will breathe out aware of the whole body.” You set up a clear intention, making up your mind that you’re going to do something skillful. In this case, you make up your mind to expand your awareness.

"When you breathe in, you train or tell yourself, “I will breathe in aware of the whole body.” When you breathe out, you tell yourself, “I will breathe out aware of the whole body.” This is another feature of ardency. You set up a clear intention, making up your mind that you’re going to do something skillful. In this case, you make up your mind to expand your awareness. The intention here, too, is a type of kamma in the present moment."

~ Thanissaro Bhikkhu "The Karma of Mindfulness: The Buddha's Teachings on Sati and Kamma"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breathe in a way that feels refreshing, soothing and comfortable to find a deep and lasting happiness

The work becomes something you can easily keep on doing, because you feel refreshed in doing your work.

Thanissaro Bhikkhu's student went to visit a boy with Marfan Syndrome just out from a heart operation and no amount of medication could relieve the pain. She said "Breathe through your butt."